What You’ll Need
1 1/2 pounds chuck (ground, or ground round)
3 tablespoons breadcrumbs (plain, fine, dry)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons onion (grated)
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons tomato juice
Salt to taste (seasoned)
Pepper to taste
Optional: tomatoes (sliced)
Optional: pickles (sliced)
Optional: onion (sliced)
Optional: condiments (as desired)
How to Make It
- Combine the ground beef with bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, grated onion, garlic powder, and tomato juice; mix well. Shape the ground beef into 4 to 5 large burger patties. Sprinkle both sides of burgers lightly with seasoned salt and pepper.
- Prepare your gas or charcoal grill for high heat and oil the grate with vegetable oil.
- Place the burgers on a foil-lined pan. Cover and refrigerate until the grill is ready.
- Put burgers on the prepared grill over direct heat. Grill the burgers for about 5 to 7 minutes on each side, or until done as desired.
- Serve on split toasted buns with your choice of sliced vegetables and condiments.
Burger Shaping and Cooking Tips
- Weigh your burgers as you shape them for uniform size and even cooking.
- Using your thumb or a finger, make an indention in the center of each patty, especially if they’re quite thick. This will help it stay flat and cook evenly.
- Grind your own beef. Choose chuck steak or cubes or boneless short ribs, or another cut with good flavor and a decent amount of fat.
- Use an instant-read food thermometer to check the burger temperature. An inexpensive instant-read thermometer is fine, but if you use a food thermometer frequently, consider the ThermoWorks Thermapen. It’s super fast and reliable.
- Rare: 120 F to 125 F
- Medium Rare: 130 F to 135 F
- Medium: 140 F to 145 F
- Medium Well: 150 F to 155 F
- Well Done: 160 F to 165 F
Keep in mind that Foodsafety.gov recommends a minimum safe temperature of 160 F for ground beef, or 165 F for ground poultry.
Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)
Total Fat 19 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Unsaturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 118 mg
Sodium 201 mg
Carbohydrates 4 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Protein 38 g